Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Journal 12

David Carson:

Be self indulgent! Carson said this as well as his lack of training is what helped him. people told him that things didn't work, but this is what he did to be self-indulgent and he would never want anyone working for him that wasn't completely submerged into the work. Some of his points:

let your personality come through the work
pull from who you are as a person
interpret the articles for the work you are creating

I really enjoyed David Carson. It seemed like because he did all of his work like this, it contains more meaning. He really takes this and makes the work his own. Questions I might ask him would be if he does have some kind of structure he still sticks by when creating. If he uses any sort of grid at all or just wings everything.

Paula Scher:

she always asks her clients what they want to be reflected in the logo because she wants to give them back their values visually.
type flow with concept and get inside info
she operates very strongly with instincts
you can do things in seconds. most of her best work was done right away because you either get it or you do not.

Wen Paula said she wasn't a refiner I could definitely relate. It's really hard to get over ideas sometimes and I do typically feel like I either have it or I don't. This is almost something I feel like she should work on though. I think that there is always improvement. Especially if you don't have exactly what your client is looking for. You need to keep pushing and finding research that will better your ideas and final product. If I were to ask her a question it would be about that. I want to know what she does when she doesn't have an idea for work or when she is struggling.

Milton Glaser:

not one of us know where we are going with design until it is over
artist have 2 lives. one of a business man and one of an artist
art is becoming part of a single experience, a gift. Something that can relate many people
you need to design things that mean something to you, to your family, to your city; things with meaning
if you can sustain your interest in what you are doing, you are a very fortunate person

Something I would ask him is how he stays interested. He mentioned that you need to do this and that he is happy that this is something that is happening to him, and he is always in awe of new work. I feel like sometimes you can get worn out and need a break and that your own work just starts to bore you. I don't think it is hard at all to stay interested in design. It is every where and extremely creative and something I constantly am looking at, but staying interested in your own work is much more tricky most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment